Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 18 - Thursday, May 24th

Today his head is velvety - not really bald yet, just buzzed.  Sophia was petting his head all morning.  I think he says he looks like a bald mole.  I think he looks a bit like a Marine Corps recruit (only not as scared).

WBS today - 200 !!!!  Less and less resistance to infection = less and less cancer cells.  repeating to myself.....this is a good thing, this is a good thing....

Sophia left today to go to Provo to close out their apartment, forward the mail, close the bank account, etc.  They have decided to give away all their furniture to other starving students, and either ship or store their wedding gifts.  Dawn White will be transporting the bigger things (guitars, printer, massage table, etc).  Missy and Meghan and some others will be helping her pack up and clean the apartment. 

Wanda had delays in her flight out of Albany yesterday and missed her connection in Chicago.  Eventually the airline put her up in a hotel and gave her 2 free first class tickets for future use.  She finally got to El Paso late this morning.  I am hoping all this didnät aggravate her back strain which was just beginning to improve.

Ryan still has a remarkably positive attitude, and has developed a fondness for the staff.  Having been in lots of hospitals over the years, I canät say enough for the exemplary care he is receiving.  Perhaps the most caring and positive individuals are attracted to oncology.  The resident caring for him, Dr. Kevin OReilly, even gave him a great novel to read.  Everybody likes his new caps and shades image.

Teresa was planning to take the girls to Malone for the long weekend, but when she got just south of the Adirondacks where there is cell coverage, she was called back to Malone because her mother in law was taken by ambulance to the ER and has urinary sepsis. 

Needless to say, the girls were very disappointed, but so was I.  For the past 6 months, I have been tied up with so many other things that I have completely let my house go.  And now with 2 more people living here I need to do some rearranging.  And the taxes are overdue, etc.  I was looking forward to 2 days without interruption.  So I felt pretty deflated, too.

Sara Carpenter called and volunteered to take the girls from Fri to Sat morning, and I called Jane Wood who had offered earlier this week to take them for a day and she will entertain them on Saturday.  So I will have Friday and Saturday.  Whatäs the old saying_  When God closes a door he opens a window_  )sorry about the wingdings + my keyboard is messed up + does somebody know how to fix it:_

The Saratoga Sparks Basketball Club got together and gave us a beautiful card, some petit+fours cookies, a fruit bowl and very generous gift cards for Ryan and Sophia to use at the hospitals.

I am so moved by the generosity of so many people.  That so many would reach out so generously to someone they barely know is quite touching. 

I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.
+++Barb.............wingdings again.....time to restart this old thing...

2 comments:

  1. I wish I would have read this sooner, I definitely would have come to get the girls for the whole weekend. If you would like Sunday and part of Monday I can come and get them Saturday evening and then bring them back to you after the Stake picnic on Monday. Or we could take them for the whole weekend two weekends from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. I got a good break yesterday thanks to Sara. I expect things will be more challenging and complex when Ryan goes to Boston. So I'll be calling in all kinds of favors then! I'll take a rain check!
      Barb

      Delete