Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 13: T+19

Things are going along smoothly.  Ryan tires easily and naps often, but is enjoying being able do more things.  He and Sophia have gone for a couple of drives.  With Ryan restricted from being out among people Sophia does the actual "errand" while he drives.

He's eating a lot.  Says things don't really taste normal yet, but he's eating well. 

Liver complications can cause fluid retention, so daily weights are important.  He's gained 5 pounds in two days.  Which is the level at which he was to call and notify someone.  He has not fluid retention in his legs, and the weights have been at different times of day with different clothing, some before and some after meals, etc.  So it's hard to consider them reliable.  Going forward he'll weigh first thing in the morning.  Right now I suspect that the weight gain is largely because he's actually getting lots of calories.  But we'll watch it closely.

This morning he began having a painful sensation in his thumbs and index fingers.  There are faint tiny red spots, but nothing obvious.  Skin manifestations of graft-vs-host are common, so I called the doctor just to be sure.  He said it didn't sound like GVH.  Probably jumped the gun.  Never sure whether I'm calling too early or too late!!  We head back to Boston tomorrow for follow-up.  It's reassuring to know that someone smarter than me will be evaluating him regularly.

Sophia is doing a great job keeping the place clean and sanitizing the surfaces that need daily cleaning.  We're enjoying cooking together.  She's continuing her paralegal course. 

Yesterday was Meghan's birthday.  She's back to her normal hectic schedule and spent the day in meetings in Salt Lake City.  Meanwhile her "super cells" are going strong here.   
---Barb

1 comment:

1. This is FABULOUS!!!!! I am thrilled that things are going so amazingly well! Big hugs to you all!!!!

ReplyDelete